People have been asking how I am. Big question.
I thought it might be helpful for those also suffering with Hashimoto’s disease or any other auto-immune disease to chart my health and see if changing my diet really is making me feel better or not. Also quite useful for me to be honest because unless I write things down I can’t remember a thing.
No brain, that’s my problem. Brain fog grrrrrr.
Anyway, I will post on this page every month or so and give you an update of my symptoms, my setbacks, my positive progress, any changes to medication and my blood test results. Let’s see how I am:
September 2016 meds: 75mg T4 20mg T3 plus new BAM medication 2-3 tablets daily 625mg Cholestagel (Colesevelam) and Vitamin D supplement 800g twice a day
- 11th July after having a SeHCAT test at Ashtead Hospital I was diagnosed by my gastroenterologist as have Bile Acid Malabsorbtion (the range is 0% severe – 15% mild and I was tested at 7%)
- Also tested negative for Lactose Intolerance
- My most recent Thyroid blood test shows I am slightly over-medicated at the moment so have reduced T4 to 75mg
- Have appt to see my Endocrinologist again next week to discuss whether I should stay on the T3 or go back to just T4 (T3 is very expensive for the NHS to authorise)
- Huge relief at actually being diagnosed with something and knowing what has been causing my IBS all these years
- The meds have started working almost immediately and I can now tolerate both gluten and dairy although I try to keep them both in moderation
- Occasionally suffer with my ibs if I have over indulged and still seem to be most sensitive to dairy products
- It’s a struggle to maintain a strict schedule with my meds because they all conflict with each other and everything has to be taken separately
- Sadly am stressed and anxious in my home life with kids moving schools, us moving house and new schedules etc so am back to suffering with daily headaches again
April 2016 meds: 100mg T4 20mg T3
- After two full thyroid blood tests done in Jan and then again in March my GP raised my T4 dose again up to 100mg and I feel a lot better on it
- Was also tested for Vitamin D levels which were too low and am now on a supplement of 800mg twice a day which has perked me up a bit
- Generally feeling like I have more energy, definitely less tired, less brain fog, less lethargy and feel like I can do things and be organised every day
- Have still a bit of lingering congestion from the virus I had at the beginning of the year, thought I was better but it came back again after my holiday
- Wondered if it could even be allergies rather than viral
- Have had a few upset stomach incidents, and am now beginning to put 2 and 2 together as to what is triggering them – it’s definitely fats (bacon, sausages, too much coconut/olive oil, fried foods etc) and I’ve spoken to my dietician about a test called SeHCAT which diagnoses BAM (bile acid malabsorption)
- Need to get GP to refer me back to Gastroenterologist to see if I can persuade him to give me the test as GP has refused saying it’s too expensive on the NHS
- There is a good medication that can be prescribed so am feeling hopeful
- At the moment I’m probably having a couple of days worth of headaches a week which isn’t too bad for me!
- My skin is better! Yay! Don’t know what happened or how I fixed it but am happy
March 7th 2016 meds: 75mg T4 20mg T3
- spoke to my Endo about why my T4 blood test result was too low and he recommended raising my Levo from 50mg to 75mg
- tests again in 6 weeks to see if levels have moved up (need to keep raising the Levo until T4 levels mid-upper range)
- Ummmm I’ve been struggling….not many positives this time! Kids have been ill back to back and so have I.
- I’ve really been suffering with a virus that’s just been hanging around for weeks. Still congested, runny nose and lots and lots of headaches.
- Have had a few upset stomach incidents, one was after eating a brownie that had dairy in it so I was expecting it and a couple of unexplained ones.
- Also have had 2 of my night-time hypoglycaemic episodes, one was particularly bad and kept me up basically all night.
- Been so bad I’ve been back to see my headache man for some Cranial Osteopathy and am booked in again now for an appointment every week for the next few weeks until they start to ease off.
- My skin is still very dry but getting a bit better with a whole host of new lotions and potions (wonder if it’s something to do with the virus I’ve had?)
- Have had a bad neck and had twinges in my back
February 6th 2016 meds: 50mg T4 20mg T3
- latest blood results: TSH 0.92 T3 normal T4 8.7 (9-22)
- GP didn’t know why my T4 is low
- advised speaking to my Endo because she doesn’t understand the T3/T4 combo and doesn’t know whether to up my dose or not. Great thanks.
- prescribed Omeprazole for my constant acid reflux and Mebeverine for my IBS symptoms, so she’s treating my symptoms which is sort of good, but not treating the root cause coz she doesn’t understand it.
Generally, up to yesterday that is, I would say that I have been feeling better. My energy levels have been up, I’ve been feeling less bloated, less headachy and haven’t had an upset stomach.
Yesterday I don’t know what it was that didn’t agree with me (I was wondering if it was the soy latte I had at Costa??) but I was suffering all day. Serious bloating, upset tummy, cramps etc. At least it was only 1 day out of the past 2 weeks which is a vast improvement on usually every day multiple times, so that’s good definitely.
I’ve had a couple of days of headaches but I think they were hormonal ones and my migraine pills seemed to fix them. I know if they’re the really bad ones because they last for days and the only way to alleviate the symptoms is to sleep or to visit my cranial osteopath.
My skin is terrible. Dry patches and spotty and generally bad condition. Don’t know why.